Are you wanting to attempt something brand-new and also amazing for dinner tonight? Look no more than Hong Sue Shrimp (or Hong Sue Har– a scrumptious Cantonese recipe) that is sure to delight your palate.
This standard Chinese-style stir-fry functions delicious, pan-fried shrimp coated in a tasty sauce with onion and also chili peppers.
Whether acted as an appetizer or main dish, this flavor-packed meal will leave everybody at the table requesting secs.
It is very much a retro meal and also you will not find it everywhere. We were lucky to see it on the food selection of Bon Chinese in Cincinnati when we relocated down below from Dayton.
Their variation was great. However their dining establishment is throughout town. Then they changed hands and I don’t see it on the food selection any more.
So it may be that people that know how to prepare it are retiring as well as befalling of memory.
Did find a recommendation to the meal in the Menus of the New york city City town library, where it appears on the food selection of a dining establishment going back to 1951.
There were additionally a number of similar meals: Hong Sue Gai (hen), Hong Su Yee (fish) and also Hong Su York (pork). And regarding I can tell, these are all ready likewise.
What Is Hong Sue Shrimp?
Hong Sue Shrimp (likewise known as Hong Sue Har or Crispy shrimp and vegetables in brown sauce) is a conventional Cantonese dish including plump, pan-fried shrimp in a mouthwatering brown sauce with onion and also chili peppers.
This classic stir-fry is typically served as an appetiser or main course at Chinese restaurants as well as receptions, yet can quickly be made in your home.
The crucial to making this meal is to choose top quality active ingredients. Start by picking big, fresh shrimp that has been peeled off as well as deveined.
After that, prepare the sauce with common Chinese pantry staples like soy sauce, oyster sauce, as well as rice a glass of wine.
To complete the dish off, make sure to pan-fry the shrimp till it is crispy and gently browned.
Once all the components have been prepared as well as constructed, this recipe is ready to be served.
Serve Hong Sue Shrimp with fit to be tied white rice for a full dish that everybody in your family will enjoy!
What Does Hong Sue Shrimp Taste Like?
Hong Sue Shrimp is a mouthwatering, flavor-packed recipe that makes certain to please the entire family members. The pan-fried shrimp is succulent and crispy while the sauce has a balance of wonderful as well as zesty tastes with a tip of umami from the oyster sauce.
Just How To Make Hong Sue Shrimp?
You might nearly confuse it with some dishes such as Hong Kong Chicken, yet do not. Various dining establishments vary wildly on those, and often even use a red wonderful and also sour sauce (so disappointing!)
And excellent Hong Kong Hen will certainly have a cutlet battered unharmed. Yet I can tell you that if as a matter of fact you are searching for among the Hong Su recipes, this dish will certainly help you.
The brownish sauce is not quite standard brown sauce (such as what you could utilize with Kung Pao Hen albeit that one being spiced up), but is perfect in taste. You can switch up the meats using the exact same batter.
Hong Sue Shrimp (Crispy Shrimp and Vegetables in Brown Sauce)
Making Hong Sue Shrimp is a very easy and quick procedure. Start by preparing the sauce active ingredients as well as whisking them together in a bowl.
Next off, heat oil in a frying pan or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Include the shrimp, onion, and also chili peppers to the frying pan and also stir-fry up until they are gently browned yet not overcooked.
As soon as the vegetables are prepared, gather the sauce and mix whatever with each other.
Offer a boil and minimize warm to reduced and simmer for 1-2 mins up until the sauce has actually enlarged. Offer with fit to be tied white rice or noodles.
Components For Hong Sue Shrimp Recipe:
- 1 extra pound shrimp, peeled, deveined as well as butterflied, tail section intact.
- cooking oil.
- 1 onion, cut into slivers.
- 4 ounces carrots, cut.
- 2 ribs celery, sliced.
- 6 ounces Chinese napa cabbage or bok choy, very finely sliced.
- 6 ounces fresh broccoli, cut into tiny florets.
- 4 ounces snow pea pods, ends trimmed.
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced.
- 8 ounce can sliced up water chestnuts, drained
- pipes fit to be tied rice (optional).
Fry Batter Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour.
- 3 tbsps corn starch.
- 1-1/2 tablespoons grease.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder.
- 1/2 tsp salt. 3/4 mug cold water.
- 3 mugs water.
- 5 tbsps corn starch.
- 1/4 mug oyster sauce.
- 3 tbsps Shaoxing rice a glass of wine.
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger origin.
- 1 tablespoon diced garlic.
- 2 tsps sesame oil.
- 2 tsps soy sauce.
- 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- Steam your rice if you mean to have it all set.
- Peel shrimp leaving last tail section undamaged, after that thinly slice mostly all the means through, pressing shrimp open with your fingers to butterfly.
- Chop vegetables and leave in overdo a tray, prepared to cook.
- Whisk with each other the components for the fry batter in a small bowl.
- Blend together the ingredients for the sauce and also keep close by.
- Heat sufficient oil in a frying pan to fry the shrimp.
- Dip the shrimp in the batter, allowing the excess to leak off then fry in oil heated to 350 ° F for 3-5 minutes (up until golden) and drainpipe theoretically toweling.
- My pan took 3 sets, so don’t crowd them.
- Warm a huge skillet or wok with a little oil, concerning 2 tablespoonfuls, and also include the onion, carrot and also celery to the pan to give it a head start.
- After a minute or two include the cabbage as well as broccoli and chef till the broccoli is bright environment-friendly.
- Add the pea pods, mushrooms as well as water chestnuts, as well as cook until the mushrooms start to soften, after that stir the sauce as well as include it to the frying pan.
- Mix until thickened, a few mins much longer.
- Serve the sauced veggies over the deep-fried shrimp just before offering- do not do it ahead or the shrimp will obtain soaked, so do that at the table.
- Likewise offer with rice.
I wish you enjoy it as well as we do. I am delighted that this belongs to the blog site collection so my family members need never worry where to find this dish- it is as close as the edge market with a bag of shrimp and also armful of vegetables.
As well as while the list of active ingredients is long, it actually isn’t that huge a bargain.
Structure sauces with a selection of veggies resembles that, as well as probably you can also choose a bag of cut veggies in the salad area at your market.
It will definitely save a little time.
Hong Sue shrimp is a scrumptious Chinese-style stir-fry meal made with shrimp, vegetables, and also a tasty sauce.
It’s very easy to make and can be served with steamed white rice, noodles, or opposites like vegetables.
You can additionally freeze this meal for up to 3 months, making it a great dish preparation choice!